Glider flying tow start
Gliding is perhaps the purest form of flying. With a tow plane the aircraft is slowly pulled up to 500 metres: a sensation in itself! The drag start takes you higher into the air than a winch start. The plane is perfectly streamlined, so it can float far.
Gliding with a drag start is possible at the airfield of Weelde. The airfield is located in Belgium, near Turnhout and the Dutch border. The airfield has a cosy bar. There is always a lot of activity and you can enjoy all the gliders that fly continuously to and fro. This will make you look forward to your own flight even more.
Gliders can also take off
What you might not have known is that a glider can also go up! It works like this: the sun heats up the earth. The earth, in turn, heats the air directly above the ground. That warm air rises. Compare it to bubbles in a glass of cola. Gliders look for these rising air bubbles. Sandy soil, for example, emits a lot of warm air. By flying above it, the aircraft can climb along with the rising air. We call this thermalling. The sport of gliding is therefore to look for those thermals and to fly long and far. Some even go all over Europe in competitions. Because the glider has no engine, you feel as free as a bird. No engine noise; just the whir of the wind! Gliding is also a real team sport. On the day itself, you will be received at the gliding club. Run by volunteers. You will be amazed at how many people it takes to make you glide.
The time has come!
You are expected at the gliding club. From the starting point you can see the gliders come and go. This will get you all in the mood!
You will get a short explanation about gliding. Of course you'll get the opportunity to ask questions. When you are in the glider, you will be towed up to a height of about 500 metres. Because of this tow start, you can fly higher than when you take off with a winch start.
Once at altitude, the pilot disconnects the cable and the aircraft continues to hover. The aircraft glides down at about 1 metre per second. If you are lucky, your pilot will find a nice thermal bubble and you can climb higher and hover longer. Unfortunately, this is not in our control.
On a day with little or no thermals, you will be dragged higher up into the sky so that you can still gain sufficient flying experience.
|This experience is available in these languages.
|1 - 4
|April to october
|Only available during in its season. Please check the validity of your voucher.
|From 8 on
|Maximum height of the participant
|Maximum weight of the student, including clothes. For safety.
|How you participate: is it a flying lesson or do you fly along.
|Indicates whether the time periods listed are block times or flight times. Flight time is the time in the air. Block time means from engine on to engine off, thus including taxiing.
|How long the voucher is valid after issue. Dit geldt alleen voor nieuwe bonnen.
|Cost Glider flying tow start
- Gliding is seasonal and has a limited capacity. So book well in advance, at least within 6 months of purchasing the voucher.
- Order multiple take-offs if you want to fly more than once or with more than one person. The take-offs do not have to be flown by the same person, but on the same day.
- Take-offs can only be made when there is sufficient visibility and the wind is not too strong.
- If the agreed flight day is cancelled due to bad weather conditions, you will receive a message before 08.30 at the latest that you do not have to come. If you do not receive a message, you will come to the airport as agreed.
- You are expected at 10.30 hrs at the gliding club.
- The plane is for two people, one of which is our pilot. One person per plane can fly with you.
- There is no catering facility at this location. Please bring your own lunch and drinks.
- This experience can also be followed by English speakers.
- Dogs are allowed on the field, but must be kept on a leash.
out of 5
4.8 out of 5
· September 2023
In een woord, wauw! Wat een super toffe ervaring! Echt een aanrader voor iedereen om te doen. Wij hadden enorm geluk met het weer waardoor we een halfuur tot driekwartier per persoon in de lucht zaten. Hier heeft niemand invloed op, maar wij waren er erg gelukkig mee! Super fijne crew en lieve mensen.
- Het team, de activiteit!
- Nu we de smaak te pakken hebben willen we vaker gaan ;)!
· August 2023
Het was een super leuke ervaring, de mensen zorgen goed voor je en leggen veel uit. Veel geleerd die dag en super veel gezien, je zit comfortabel in stoeletjes of op de picnicbank.
- Het was bijzonder om beide sleepstart en via het touw te zien.
- Niks, super leuk!
· June 2023
Super om te zweefvliegen. Erg gaaf! Deskundige zweefvliegpiloot
- De ervaring zelf
- Betere onthaal bij beginpunt. We konden ons nergens melden. Uiteindelijk door hulp van iemand naar de juiste locatie geholpen, anders hadden we de startbaan nooit gevonden
· June 2023
Ik vond het super leuke ervaring.
Met een leuke piloot Piere .
Een mooie zweefvlucht gemaakt.
- Ik kon ook eerder terecht dus hoefde niet lang te wachten
· June 2023
Was such a great experience. And what luck we had that the weather was fantastic that day for flying. I will truly never forget this day. The instructors were all very kind, and informative. And it was amazing to witness their passion for the sport. I felt very safe in their care. I did threw up at the very end, as I became nauseous during the landing. But recovered immediately after.
· May 2023
Super leuke vliegles aan mijn opa cadeau gegeven. Het was een hele bijzondere ervaring. Het personeel was heel attent en behulpzaam. De locatie was niet heel makkelijk te vinden, kan misschien iets beter aangegeven worden met een groter bord?
- Personeel en behulpzaamheid
- Vindbaarheid locatie