Glider flying day course tow start
Learn the basics of gliding with this one-day course. During this introduction day you will fly 2 times under guidance of an experienced pilot. You will be towed up by a tow plane. A day course is a good step to get acquainted with gliding.
What will you do?
Your day starts in the morning at 10.30 at the hangar of the gliding club. You start with the briefing. This is how the gliding company always starts. The weather conditions, flight planning and all other relevant things for the day are discussed. Before you start flying, you get theory about the basics of flying. Then you go to the aircraft for inspection.
After the inspection you get into the aircraft together after which your first take-off starts. With a tow plane you will be pulled up far above the landscape. You will rise about 500 metres into the air. During the first flight, you will experience what that feels like. On a day with little or no thermals, you will be towed higher up into the sky so that you can still gain sufficient flying experience.
Between flights, there is plenty of time for all your questions. There is a briefing before every flight and a debriefing after every flight. Furthermore, you will discover the club life of the gliding club and see if this world is something for you. Who knows, this might be a nice step towards a multi-day course or even the complete training to become a glider pilot?
During the second flight, you get the chance to try out the controls yourself. With your hands loosely on the control stick you will feel what the pilot is doing. Of course, everything goes at a pace you feel comfortable with. It is very quiet in a glider, so you can hear the pilot well while he tells you more about flying and the environment.
After the second flight you can leave, but if you like you can have a chat with the rest of the crew.
The course is given at the airfield of Weelde. This is in Belgium, near Turnhout and the Dutch border. Weelde airfield is a popular field for glider pilots from Belgium and the Netherlands. At the bottom of this page you will find a map with the location.
During the course, you will not only discover how much fun it is to fly a glider yourself, but also how sociable the team is. You might not expect it, but gliding is a real team sport. You will be surprised how many people it takes to make you glide.
|This experience is available in these languages.|
|Persons||1 - 2|
|Season||April to october|
|Only available during in its season. Please check the validity of your voucher.|
|Age||From 14 on|
|Max. length||2.00 m|
|Maximum height of the participant|
|Max. weight||100 kg|
|Maximum weight of the student, including clothes. For safety.|
|How you participate: is it a flying lesson or do you fly along.|
|Indicates whether the time periods listed are block times or flight times. Flight time is the time in the air. Block time means from engine on to engine off, thus including taxiing.|
|Valid for||2 years|
|How long the voucher is valid after issue. Dit geldt alleen voor nieuwe bonnen.|
|Per persoon||€ 129|
|Cost Glider flying day course tow start|
- Gliding is seasonal and has a limited capacity. So book well in advance, at least within 6 months of purchasing your voucher.
- There will only be flown when there is sufficient visibility and when the wind is not too strong.
- If the agreed flight day is cancelled due to bad weather conditions, you will receive a message before 08.30 at the latest that you do not have to come. If you do not receive a message, you will come to the airport as agreed.
- Should the weather change during the course day, you can complete the remaining flights at a later time.
- The voucher is not personal, but once the course has started you cannot change students anymore.
- You are expected at 10.30am at the gliding club.
- There is no catering facility at this location. Please bring your own lunch and drinks.
- The lesson can also be given in English.
- Dogs are allowed on the field, but must be kept on a leash.
out of 5
4.9 out of 5
· July 2023
Mooi belevenis om te zweefvliegen. Is heel anders dan n vliegtuig met n motor.
- Alles…goede uitleg leuke mensen.
· October 2022
Geweldig, vooral 2e keer de lucht in veel thermiek, lang in de lucht gebleven
- Cirkelen boven 2 andere zwevers die je onder je kunt zien cirkelen
- Geen idee
· August 2022
Enorm leuke dag gehad!
- Fijne sfeer
Kundige en vriendelijke instructeur
· June 2022
Gemengd, eerste les viel tegen, achterin zitten en helaas geen thermiek op dat tijdstip. Lang wachten en onduidelijkheid over programma, lunch, wanneer weer vliegles
- De tweede vlucht na lang wachten was bijzonder leerzaam, veel genieten
- Te lang wachten en onduidelijk programma
· July 2022
Een super toffe ervaring en bijzonder om het vliegtuig te voelen stijgen bij een thermische bel.
- Enthousiasme van de club leden over de zweefvlieg sport.
- Het aanbieden van versnaperingen en drankjes.
· July 2022
Ik vond het fantastisch!
- Ik had geluk met de thermiek.
- Het zou fijn zijn als je ergens koffie kon kopen.